Saturday, February 4, 2012

Are We Having Fun Yet?

Today was the first day of orientation! In almost exactly six months, I'll be off for Finland.  I don't know where in Finland, or who my host family will be, or where I'll go to school.  I don't know how to speak any Finnish, let alone repeat the alphabet. But, hey! That's the fun of it, isn't it? And once I get there, it's not like it'll matter.  Whether they speak fluent English or none at all, I know I'll have the best experience of my life.  I'll learn about myself and about others, and I'll never want to come home... Right? Right. Jumping from a relatively small town in West Virginia to the other side of the Atlantic won't be a big deal...
Here's a little about my life, pre-Finland. My name is Lucie, and I'm currently 16 years old. I go to Morgantown High School, and this year, I'll finally be graduating. I've lived in the same house all my life, and I've loved my hometown since the very beginning. My parents both work at West Virginia University. My mom is from France, and she moved to a town called Moultrie, Georgia, when she was 20 to marry my father.  They had my sister, Allison, and then moved to Alabama, where they had my brother, Alexander. They were both offered jobs at WVU, and they moved to Morgantown and had me! We speak French at home, which means I'm fluent in both English (obviously) and French. Every summer, my mom teaches a program that she started with my dad in '89. I used to go with them every year, but last year I couldn't go since I went on a trip to Mexico.  The summer before that, after my sophomore year, I had to leave France early to go on a trip to Canada.  I think it's fair to say I've traveled quite a bit... This summer, I'll be in Germany for two weeks too.  It's always been my dream to travel, to learn everything about the world that I can. I hope I'll be able to travel for my job, but I'm not sure how I'll manage that yet.  Mainly, I'm interested in psychology, and I hope to do something involving social work or maybe nonprofit organizations. But my career seems a long way off. After all, I don't even know what college I'll be attending! I just hope it's not at home. Like I said before, I love Morgantown, but I've been here all my life. I don't think I'll be able to return after a year in Europe. So hopefully, I'll be accepted to McGill University, in Montreal, and I'll live my college days off switching between French and English, and maybe some Finnish too! If I ever learn it... I hear it's pretty complex.  But then again, if it was easy, would it really be worth doing? I guess we'll find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment