Monday, February 20, 2012

Homework, Check!

As time has passed, I've realized how silly my blog's title is... But in reality I am completely indifferent to this. It makes me laugh, so we'll roll with it.
Anyway, today I finished my last two homework assignments, due before the ski trip next weekend! I had to write 200 words on what Rotary is, 500 words on the US, WV, and Morgantown, and then 3 things that impress me about my host country.  I definitely think the first and third were the most interesting. Mostly because I already know what there is to know about the US and WV and Morgantown so it was rather boring to write about.  Learning more about Rotary was good though; it feels nice to get to know the program which I'll be traveling abroad with.  As for the 3 impressive things about Finland, I had a little help.  My mom, being a concerned and curious parent, did research on Finland and discovered that they had a great education system (something she was thankful for, seeing as she's worried I'll become indifferent towards my studies while abroad), and she also found out that Finland is known for their great fabrics.  Needless to say, I'll be returning with a suitcase full of colorful fabrics for my mother.  As for my third impressive thing, I asked a foreign exchange student at my school, Toby, for advice.  He gave me tons of suggestions, like the molotov cocktail, which is a bomb, and Nokio, the electronics company.  But after a little research, I settled on saunas, if only because I didn't want to give the impression of being an extremely violent person for having found the molotov cocktail very interesting.  But anyway, I can't wait to try the saunas.  I'm kind of hoping I won't have to do it in the nude, but if I do, hey, its all part of the experience!
I'm not looking forward to the 1000 word history on Finland, mostly because I'd rather just read up on it, and not have to compose an essay, but I'm sure the research will be interesting... What I'm really dreading is learning the language.  Or maybe not dreading, because I do want to learn, but I'm pretty worried.  Toby told me that there was an exchange student at his school from the U.S. and he never learned Finnish.  I'm sure I'll be different though.  I have the personality to need to communicate.  So even if I make a fool of myself, at least I'll be learning! I looked into the Rosetta Stone demo thing we got at orientation, but of course Finnish wasn't one of the languages they offered.  So I checked itunesu, and of course there wasn't anything there either.  So then I tried youtube.  Most of what I saw was childish though. I did learn how to say fire though! (tuli) But I'm not sure how often I'll be using that word... Oh, and I know how to say hello and goodbye! So I guess I'm set for about three situations. Saying hello, awkwardly waiting for a conversation to end, saying goodbye, and screaming "FIRE!" when my host mother's cooking goes horribly wrong.... Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment